Saturday, June 16, 2012

Day 2: Akron, Ohio

First stay with a couchsurfer.

Had a couchsurfing host lined up in Youngstown, but she canceled last week. I sent out more requests and resigned myself to camping (although once I found a $12 campsite near Kent I was pretty content), but I got an invitation from a host. She's really nice!
Kiddo and I went to a random park in town so she could run around and get the energy out. It worked well! She went to sleep easy tonight.

Akron meant the drive was a bit longer - 6 hours. And that was before we got stuck for over an hour on I-80 today. And not just going slow... this was one of those "everybody gets out of the car and you wonder if it's going to be like the REM video" things. We walked around, picked a few flowers, played a little tag (bad idea! asphalt = scraped elbows), and generally just tried to stay out of the car. Talked to a few strangers. Rumor had it we were at a complete stop so that a helicopter could airlift someone from a crash up ahead to a hospital.
Years ago I was stopped on a Virginia interstate for a helicopter to land. That time we were one of the first in line, so we watched it land. 
I took two pictures. One is of kiddo sitting on the trunk of the car at a dead stop. Unfortunately her eyes are closed and I didn't realize because the stupid camera screen is broken (mental note: taking pictures of people? Use old camera. Scenery? Sure, new camera). 
The other is of the smoldering ruins of the tractor trailer cab as we drove by a little while later.
Going to post the wreck one, but small because it's kind of graphic (even if all you see is destroyed machinery, the human damage is implied).



No comments:

Post a Comment