Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day 6: Sioux Falls

Disjointed post! Go!

I could get behind living in a town named Black Earth, Wisconsin.
Better than Blue Earth, Minnesota, for whatever reason.

Southern Minnesota has a ton of wind mills.

Today had the second giant thunderstorm I drove into on the trip (in Indiana I think I saw lightning hit a cell/radio/something else tower). I was excited at first, then started wondering if Minnesota gets tornadoes... that would be not so much exciting.

I got pulled over going "low 80s" (I was spaced out looking at wind mills again and don't know how high I got, I was mostly shooting for 80ish) in a 70. It's weird driving on flat, straight interstates with few other cars around. But hey, warning only! Success. And definitely stuck to speed limit for the rest of the state.

Today was my first "holy crap I really am far from home" moment. I had just crossed into South Dakota for the first time in my life, there were signs that my exit was closed so I needed to detour, it was raining, and the detour route had signs that said "flash flood area". 

Our couchsurfing hosts here really get into hosting; they do it a lot. One volunteered to take us to the waterfalls that Sioux Falls is named after. It was neat. For some reason this waterfall is really foamy, which Kiddo thought was funny. She loved running around on the red rocks next to the river.

Today is the first 'not hot as hell' day of the trip. Apparently the aforementioned storm knocked it down from 80s / 90s the last few days to high 60s. Relief is (maybe) coming, east coasters.
I'm hoping it's dry in the national park and not 90s. We'll see. Guess this is where I mention - tomorrow, Badlands National Park! Woo! No posts for awhile, though.





No comments:

Post a Comment