Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Days 10-12: Boulder

For the record, I have spent too much time wondering if our first day (driving from home to Lancaster) should be Day 0 or Day 1. I settled on Day 1, but clearly I am not resting easy in this decision.

On Day 10 we drove from the corner of Nebraska we had stayed in to just outside Boulder. We drove through Wyoming, which had a stretch that might be among the emptiest 75 mile stretches of highway you can find in America. When you leave Torrington, Wyoming (a town of ~6500), you pass a sign that says something like "no services next 76 miles". And sure enough, there's nothing until you get to Cheyenne. On the way out of town I passed an anti-abortion sign, and given my observations of the heartland so far, I expected there to be more. So I made a game up: number of gas stations vs number of pro-life signs. I passed something that was at least in the right shape of a solitary pump, but even if it was, it certainly wasn't a "gas station". I also passed a billboard advertising that one could take the next road to a gas station, but going by a strict definition, the final score was Anti-Abortion 1, Gas Stations 0. Not sure if this helps illustrate the desolation, but it's what I have for you.

We got into Lafayette in mid-afternoon. There are some people here I think the world of, so I'm pretty happy here. Not going to be a lot to post about here, because this page is usually about seeing new things and meeting new people, and I think we're going to be laying low a lot. Resting up is nice, and the 100 degree days really take your motivation for adventures away.

We all played Rock Band the first night. Kiddo sang - she's getting better on the songs she somewhat knows. She did "Portions for Foxes" and "Pretend We're Dead" pretty well. I got to sit behind the drums, and because I'm a video game masochist, I took a shot at "Won't Get Fooled Again". We were on no-fail mode for the kiddo, but it was an ugly scene anyway. I can hold down the fort, but I will never be Keith Moon (I also am not into destroying toilets and dying young, so this is not necessarily a bad thing).

Kiddo is now addicted to Boom Blox Bash Party, a game for the Wii.

Anyway, it'll probably be pretty hard to leave on Thursday. I'm really happy here.
But there's so much awesome stuff left to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment